Friday, December 14, 2007

Tipping Point

Today was a tipping point in my life. For the first time ever, I tipped the scale at 190lbs. Now, if I were playing in the NFL, I'd be a weak ass little skinny dude with no hops (just for comparison sake, LT is also 5'10" but weighs in at 221). But alas, I'm just a first year MBA at the University of Southern California. Before I started classes on August 13th, I was a healthy 175, feeling good about myself. I was going to the gym pretty regularly, eating good, and my health was headed in the right direction.

Then classes started and everything went to shit.

I thought I was prepared for school. Boy, was I wrong. As I went through the first couple of months, I constantly doubted my decision to give up work to come here. I missed my paycheck. I felt guilty that I would no longer support my parents. I wondered why I had to put up with a pompus Econ professor who thought he was the shit. Nothing was right; everything went wrong.

As a typical guy in stress, my weight started to fluctuate. First, my appetite went away, which I thought was weird cuz I love to eat. But I didn't really care. I was down to 171 and didn't give a rats ass one way or another, even if I was losing muscle. Then I started to gain weight (which I know is fat cuz I hadn't worked out in 3 months). Back to 175, fine. Up to 180, hmm. Broke 185, maybe I should think about eating less. Today, 190. Why did I start caring today when it seems like just another day of eating junk food and stressing out over finals? I felt so bloated (yes, bloated) that I thought I was going to tip over.

During the semester, I had started playing around with the idea of starting a fitness competition between Spring Break and PRIME, just as a means to motivate the 1st years and help relieve some stress. In order to motivate myself, I planned on blogging my progress here. What was to begin on January 9, 2008 can no longer wait. I'm starting now, I ain't gonna stop til I get back in shape.

Here are my superficial goals:
  • 175 lbs
  • get below 10% body fat

Here's how I'm gonna get there:

  • Work out with weights 3 times a week
  • Cardio 3 times a week
  • Eat lots of veges (I don't have to worry about not eating enough meat)
  • Limit coffee to once a day, and substitute with tea the rest of the time
  • Protein shakes
  • Drink tons of water
  • Find a buddy to work out with

I'm sure I'll find something else to add, but this is a good start. My plan starts today, so I better go hit the weight room.


No comments: