Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Goals

It's easy to forget what our goals are. Especially in school, where the herd mentality dominates just about every other way of thinking. I recently read an assigned book called "The Goal", which talks about the goals of a manufacturing company. Although it was dealing with operations management in a factory, I think it applies to me as well. I gave up a lot of money to be back at school today, and to be quite honest, I don't believe that I've gotten my money's worth. Seeing my cash account get depleted on a daily basis, I can't help but wonder what I got myself into. So what am I going to do about it? I'm not sure. But one thing I know, the only predictable thing about life is its unpredictability.

Internships. You have to get one or you are a loser. That's what the CRC has been touting since day one. A little harsh, yes, but for career switchers, they probably need the push. I even got into it a bit, including the stupid thought that investment banking might be a worthwhile way to spend my summer. The herd mentality gathers a lot of steam around here, and I can understand why. It's lonely to set your own path. No one has gone on it before, and no one wants to go with you now. That's just the way it is. It's funny that I want to go off on my own, because that's exactly what I don't need right now. I need to surround myself with people. I've been lonely for so long and it's one of the reasons I left my previous job.

So anyway, what are my goals? Basically, it is to find a job that I can excel in, make good money, and be happy. The problem is that I don't know if I can find all three in the same job. At EY, I was good at my job but didn't make that much money. At Watershed, I was miserable every day while raking in the cash. What's my next job going to be like? Or should I say the heck with it, I'm just gonna go do my own thing? That's what's making my internship search so hard. I keep trying to find the perfect job that I end up not motivated for any job. I wonder what my solution is...

No comments: